Harry John Nolen

Harry John Nolen

The Obituary

Harry John Nolen

of Olympia, WA was born on March 20, 1955. A California native, he was a kind man who enjoyed the simpler things in life. He was fond of camping, sports, sci-fi, family barbeques, Koi fish ponds, playing his guitar, karaoke, his rock garden, and making people laugh. He served in the Army and worked for the Veterans Administration Regional Office in Oakland, CA for over 20 years. He fought hard, but finally lost his battle with cancer on October 3 at home surrounded by those that loved him. He is survived by his wife Patty, daughter Kimberly, son in law Everett, sister Rosie, niece Kelly and nephew Scott, step-children Matthew and his wife Katie, David and his long time love Kristina, Rachelle and Robert, grandson Joshua, mother Mabel, his pug whom he referred to as his "big boy" and many aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. May he rest in peace.


Please feel free to comment if you choose. Harry is in Heaven happily smiling down no matter what.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Love from Kimberly


When I was growing up, he was always a good Dad to me. We always had fun by going to the park or the drive-in or riding bikes. We loved to ride bikes, especially on the Waterfront of Vallejo. Dad always said that "it didn't matter what we were doing, as long as we were doing it together." Growing up we had our little silly language. Sometimes we made words start with the letter "N" just because. Like marbles were called "narbles" or Kimberly was "Nimberly". I don't
know how it started, it just started and it stuck.

We also liked to visit with family. Family was very important to Dad. We hung out with Auntie Rosie, Grandpa, and Grandma many times and we would joke about every one wearing some piece of Grandma's clothing, whether it be pajamas or sweatshirt or robe.

One year when was little, I really liked the Aladdin movie and he took me to the Cow Palace in San Francisco to see the Aladdin ice capades. I know that he probably wasn't that interested in figure skating, but he knew it would make me happy and that's what made him happy.


My dad was the best Dad I could have ever asked for. He always tried his best and meant well, even if I didn't understand it at the time. We could have reasonable conversations and he listened to what I was saying, even if he didn't understand it at the time. I was always a dreamer and he more realistic... I was independent and wanted to travel the world, and he always wanted me to stay home until I was 65.

That was probably our biggest conflict. He didn't understand why I always had to be the first one to an event and the last one to leave. I liked being where the "action" was and he didn't like a lot of fuss or big parties or anything like that. He liked little family get togethers or just staying home to watch sci-fi. I remember that every night about 8:00 we had to watch some kind of Star Trek show- he would be on the big couch and I would be on the little couch- and we would do our leg exercises to see who could do the most.

He was always trying to make fun events together even if they were as simple as leg exercises or watching tv. He liked to go to Home Depot and get supplies to make a pond or a board game or something. Even if his projects didn't last, he always meant well. He liked to sing kereoke and thought it was fun when everyone sang together.


He did a lot to make sure I was ok. He was a bit of a worrier too. Always worried that something was going to go wrong, that I would fall off my bike, or get sick, or get my feelings hurt. He used to say that he had a full head of hair before I was born, and if you saw him lately, he had hardly any left! :)

It was sooooooo special to be able to have my Dad walk me down the isle for my wedding less than 3 months ago. It's hard to believe that he is gone now. But I have good memories of that day of him standing there waiting for me to come down those rocky steps and for him to lead me to the altar. What a happy day for the both of us! We danced our father -daughter dance and he whispered that he was proud of me. I told him, I was who I was because of him and started crying. He had a worried look on his face and he said, "why is my little girl crying?!" and I said, "because I am so happy"... and then we danced a few more steps before we called it a night...


Dad was a quiet man, and never wanted to be the center of attention. He never wanted a big deal made out of anything...But he always deserved the award for being the person who tried so hard to make everyone happy.

Dad was also quite the joker. He loved to tell jokes and make people laugh. Especially himself! He could laugh at his own jokes over and over. He could just be sitting there in quiet and all of a sudden start bursting out in laughter, from a joke he just remembered or just thought up. He was a silly guy and liked to have fun. He used to tell me, I just want you to remember the good ol' times with the "fun Dad"


I will remember much more than just the "fun" dad. I will remember the worrier, the joker, the peacemaker (or tried to be anyway), the stressed out, the stern, the sarcastic, and the laid back Dad. What I have learned from him is his love for the important things in life such as family, togetherness, nature, understanding, and humor. He was a fighter to the end and I hope that I have half the strength that he had, to endure the mental and physical struggles of his life. Every thing he did, he did for the people he loved... and for that he will always be a hero to me.

I know you are smiling down on all of us. Rest in peace Dad.
~Nimberly


1 comment:

  1. Your dad loved you with all his heart Kimberly. He was so happy every time you came to visit! We all have a lot of great memories of good times together with him. And I think you were very blessed to have such a loving and caring father who adored you & helped you to be the woman you are today. Dad will always be apart of us and we will all carry with us our own memories of him forever!!!! :-)
    Patty~

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments if you wish :)